We are blessed with Solar Energy in abundance at no cost. The solar radiation incident on the surface of the earth can be conveniently utilized for the benefit of human society. One of the popular devices that harness the solar energy is the solar water heater.
A solar water heater consists of a collector to collect solar energy and an insulated storage tank to store hot water. The solar energy incident on the absorber panel coated with selected coating transfers the hat to the riser pipes underneath the absorber panel.
The water passing through the risers get heated up and is delivered the storage tank. The re-circulation of the same water through absorber panel in the collector raises the temperature to 80 degrees Celcius (Maximum) in a good sunny day. The total system with solar collector, storage tank, and pipelines is called solar water heater.
Solar Water Heater has many benefits some of them are as follows:
- It does not consume even a single unit of electricity, unlike electrical water geysers which soak too much electricity as well as money.
- Solar water heater runs on sun’s solar energy which is also the renewable form of energy or we can say environment-friendly.
- Having Solar water heater on your roof increases the property value with the aesthetical look and also improves the lifestyle with setting a trend for the next generation.
- The lifetime maintenance cost of solar water heater is way less compared to electric geysers.
- The insulated water tank could store hot/warm water for 2-3 days which could be utilized later. This is an advantage when there is rain or a power cut. But in electric geysers, you have to warm the water everytime you use in the interval of 5 to 7 hours.
- Solar water heater comes with 5 to 10 years of warranty but electric geysers come hardly with 2 years of warranty.
Based on collector system, Solar Water Heaters can be of two types:
Evacuated Tube Collectors (ETC)
Evacuated Tube Collector is made of double layer borosilicate glass tubes evacuated for providing insulation. The outer wall of the inner tube is coated with the selective absorbing material. This helps absorption of solar radiation and transfers the heat to the water which flows through the inner tube.
Flat Plate Collectors (FPC)
The solar radiation is absorbed by Flat Plate Collectors which consist of an insulated outer metallic box covered on the top with glass sheet. Inside there are blackened metallic absorber (selectively coated) sheets with built-in channels or riser tubes to carry water. The absorber absorbs the solar radiation and transfers the heat to the
As per analysis and experience from the matured Solar Water Heater markets like Dubai , Alain, Abudhabi, RAK, Sharjah , we give the following rankings for the top 5 solar water heaters. The ranking is given on the basis of following factors such as Experience, Tank quality, Life of the system, Air vent, auxiliary tank, quality of Vacuum tubes, Service factor, Market share, repeat order, satisfied customers, Government certifications, etc.
Top 5 ETC Solar Water Heater Brands:
|Rank 1||Thermea Solar|
|Rank 2||Sole Solar|
|Rank 3||Apricus Solar|
|Rank 5||Bosch Solar|
Top 5 FPC Solar Water Heater Brands:
|Rank 1||Sole Solar|
|Rank 2||Spectrum Solar|
|Rank 3||Thermea Solar|
|Rank 4||Bosch Solar|
|Rank 5||Economy Solar|
A big question that is quite difficult for the customers to decide which type of Solar Water Heater is better?
Introduction of evacuated tube collectors that are rapidly becoming the preferred option over flat plate systems.
Some silent features of ETC type water heaters:
- Capture sunlight better as they have a greater surface area exposed to the sun at any time
- Are more efficient in transferring heat – up to 163% demonstrated in Australian conditions!
- Can be used in subzero temperatures
- Are durable and if a tube should be broken, it can be easily and cheaply replaced.
- Provide excellent performance in overcast conditions
- Require a smaller roof area than comparable flat plate collectors
- Do not have the same level of corrosion problems as flat plate collectors.
- Can be used for Industrial Purposes where we require more heat energy for process and is continuously utilized
As we can see from the graph that ETC based solar water heaters are more efficient as compared to FPC.In Winter ETC have 104% more efficiency then FPC and in summer ETC have 50.5% more efficiency then FPC.
Comparison between Solar Water Heater and Electric Geysers on different aspects:
- Fuel Savings: A 100 liters capacity SWH can replace an electric geyser for residential use and saves
1500 units of electricity annually.
- Avoided utility cost on generation: The use of 1000 Solar Water Heater of 100 liters capacity each can contribute to a peak load shaving of 1 MW.
- Environmental Benefits: A Solar Water Heater of 100 liters capacity can prevent the emission of 1.5 tonnes of carbon-dioxide per year.
- Life: 15-20 years
- Payback Period:3-4 years when electricity is replaced, 4-5 years when furnace oil is replaced,5-6 years when coal is replaced.
The Solar Water heaters come in many sizes/capacity from 100 LPD to 1000LPD where LPD stands for Liter per day. By assuming 40-50 liter average usage each person each day in winter seasons so to decide which capacity of Solar Water Heater is their requirement.
From this, we conclude by saying
- The solar water heater is more efficient than conventional electric geysers.
- ETC based solar water heaters are better than FPC based on every aspect.
- Supreme Solar water heaters are best among others brands in India.
- Initial charges are high in Solar water heater compared to geysers but can be payback in 3-4 years.
There are many platforms where you can find this product online. Thermea is the best platform where can grab these amazing solar products at a much cheaper rate compared to other platforms in the market. Thermea also gives shipping charges free and Installation services in UAE for their customers and it can deliver all over the country.
To buy Thermea Solar System please call+971 – 563495189